Friday, February 19, 2010

Geeta's Labour Story...and a Tribute to the New Mommy

We never got a chance to really write about how Geeta went into labour and how it all happened so quickly...so we thought we'd share that story. On thursday night, while I was stuck at work, Geeta gave me a call - she was visiting some friends at the time. All she would say to me on the phone is that 'I think we need to go to the hospital'. We both thought that it was likely false labour, but that we definately had to have it checked out at the hospital to be sure.

Geeta was out and about at the time and only a few mins away from my office - so she picked me up (yes it's pretty crazy that she was driving, however our friends accompanied her to make sure she was okay while she made the short drive). Within 15 mins we made it home, picked up our suitcase which was pre-packed, ate a quick meal and then headed to Mount Sinai hospital. Thankfully, we only live 5 mins from the hospital in downtown Toronto.

After some standard checks, there was no signs of labour. In fact Geeta wasn't even sure if she was having any contractions or not. The staff was about to let us go home when the doctor came in to do one last check - that's when we found out that Geeta was dilated and that the babies were coming.

Within 1 hour, Geeta was whisked away to the operating room where they would perform a C-Section. I anxiously waited outside for the nurse to bring me in - they don't allow the father to watch the insertion of the spinal anesthesia (similar to an epidural). When I finally got to come in, the doctors were already making their incision (of course there is a drape to block the view to prevent any uncessary fainting)....at 1:48AM the doctor said 'stand up daddy' and out came Kailen...within two mins both Jaiden and Ariya were pulled out into the world. Seeing them for the first time is a moment that is completely unexplainable and something neither of us will ever forget.

Following the surgery, the nurses wheeled geeta's bed into the next room so that she could see the babies properly for the first time....an incredible moment for mommy who got to hold our baby girl.

I always tell Geeta, that if there was anyone born to have triplets it was her. During her pregnancy she had nothing but a smile on her face - she honestly enjoyed every minute of it. The funny part is that even while she was being operated on, she never displayed an ounce of fear - she had the same smile on her face and was so excited to meet her litte ones...I remember telling her that she must be the only one ever to have had a smile on their face while being cut open.

We are so proud of mommy for doing such an amazing job over the past seven months - for bringing our three little ones into this world. A little tribute for our the new mommy...

2 comments:

  1. A tribute to Daddy:

    There is no way I could of done it without you - no way I could of carried on through this pregnancy without you being by my side and being my personal cheerleader. There is no way I could of had these babies without your hand in mine. Thank you for being the best husband ever. A husband that had the quickest learning curve on how to cook, clean, do laundry, shopping, buying groceries, taking care of his wife and all in a specific way that she wanted it done :-) You never complained and also had a smile on your face the whole time.... how could I not reflect that back.

    Love you so much - you are going to be the best parent to our three little munchkins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG you two are amazing...This made me cry.. WOW... I'm a friend of Karen"s and just read your whole blog.. WOW WOW WOW..

    I look forward to reading more.. God bless your new family and this new journey...

    ReplyDelete